Newborn baby clothes first weeks essentials
What baby clothes do you need in the first few weeks?
Babies grow very quickly. All the baby clothes you need for the first few weeks are enough clothes to make sure your baby will be warm and clean:
- six bodysuits (all-in-ones) for both day and night, or four stretch suits and two nightdresses (nighties) for the night – use socks or bootees with the nightie if it’s cold
- three cardigans, light rather than heavy – several light layers of clothing are best for keeping your baby warm
- three pull-on pants – look for stretchy waistbands that fit easily over your baby’s diaper and belly and expand as he gains weight.
- two shawls or blankets to wrap your baby in
- two cotton hats
- three mittens
- three pairs of socks or bootees – it’s better to choose close-knitted patterns rather than those with a loose knit, so your baby’s fingers and toes won’t get caught.
- one-piece fleece suit – preferable hooded, for going out if the weather is cold.